Geographical believers?!


During my last trip to Iran, which was a short one, I think I somehow realized why people in Iran might be religious. I believe this also occurs to me that I tend to believe in sth every time I go there. I'll tell you how and why.

Apart from the theocratic regime which is actually pushing Islam to the society and tries to keep people unaware and ignorant through censorship and many other strange ways, there are perhaps other factors which make people believe in God or some super power there. I have noticed that even those who do not agree with Islam still have faith in God and pray in their own words and call themselves believers. The reason why the situation is so, I suspect is the stressful life in Iran. From the time you get out of your home, you are on high risk of having an accident or getting into some trouble of any kind. All cars seem to be crashing into each other at any moment. With all this pressure from the environment, you need sth to relieve you from the responsibility of taking care of everything alone. What's better than a power who can take care of you and knows what's best? It's relieving to share the pressure with some one else, isn't it? It's also about economical problems, which are way more than one could bear. In communication theories, the more economical problems societies have, the more collective they tend to be. Being collective is based on needs and I think religion or even belief in God plays the same role. The more problems you have, specially economical, the more dependent you tend to be, on some outside power probably because you cannot think of any easier ways to decrease the pressure which is on you. 

When I was in Iran, specially in the car when my family members were driving (I do not dare to drive there anymore), I wished I had believed in something so I could leave the stress to it so as not to have an accident.  I felt like I need a God to help me because the pressure is too much for me to take alone. I know it might sound stupid but that's how I felt when I was there. 

Comments

  1. I think praying isn't bad , it's kind of instinct but in Iran you believe God and pray for having a chance or getting rid of a bad situation. after you grow up you pray to pass university exam after that you pray to have a good chance for doing military service in good and safe region and know there is favoritism. and then seek for a job: employees aren't selected on your merit and you pray for concepts like bureaucracy and favoritism.
    Praying for many people reminds problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. The funny thing is, that it is also written in Qu'ran! Poor people tended to be the first Muslims.

    Fact is also that b/c to stress people have less time for scientific and philosophical topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. The funny thing is, that it is also written in Qu'ran! Poor people tended to be the first Muslims.

    Fact is also that b/c to stress people have less time for scientific and philosophical topics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment