Did you really mean it?


I've recently been thinking why in some cultures you need to insist on what you mean and want, so that others believe you. It happens very often that I tell my Iranian friends something and they don't take it seriously because I do not repeat it or insist on it. Even on the simplest issues like meeting them. A couple of months ago, I was supposed to pick up a friend whom I hadn't met in person before, and I texted her saying that I would be at blah blah place at blah blah time. I didn't text her more than once and I didn't contact her before meeting her again but I was there at the right time and place. Anyway, I met her and after talking to her for a while, I realized that she was not really sure I would be there because I didn't confirm for a couple of times like it's normal in our culture. Another case in point is when I asked my brother to come to us over the weekend, and he didn't. When he was bored and I asked him why he didn't come to us, he said that he would if I had insisted! I then thought it might be that in our culture, saying something once equals to not saying it at all?! I personally mean what I say, but apparently some people do not think so. On the other hand, I think I also have part of that habit in me, meaning that I check on many things to make sure they're confirmed while it may not be necessary.   This might be because of my experience back home, where everything had to be at least double checked or they'd go wrong. Even if everybody says what they mean, there still is a degree of uncertainty, in my opinion. Don't you think so?

I noticed this difference when I was at work. When organizing the logistics of the conference at the University of Helsinki, I had to book tables and venues for different meetings and events from lunch to panel discussions. I emailed or called those restaurants or authorities, etc. and booked tables and rooms, about more than a month in advance. However, when the conference was approaching, I had the fear that those bookings might not have been done or might be forgotten, so I called and emailed all those places again to confirm. It might have been weird for those people whom I called, as they had the reservations on their calendars. It may sound funny but it really is due to the differences in cultures, I guess. Now I am much more familiar with that culture and it is actually very relaxing to have your word taken seriously by saying it once so much that I tend to do so. 




Comments

  1. Iranian are absent-minded because they have a lot of problem, for instance Most people have to live within a tight budget or unnecessary bureaucracy annoys them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment